Looking for more house tips? Search through Houseblogs.net!

Sunday, June 18, 2006

daddy-o

I must have turned out at least mostly okay by my dad's lights; nowadays, when he quizzes me about 401Ks, construction techniques, and tax codes, I even answer most of the questions right. Somewhere underneath his mild-mannered software engineer exterior, I think, there are still strong traces of the hippie geek who insisted that his baby daughter's middle name should signify her planet of origin. Just in case.

Thanks, Dad. Happy Father's Day.

(A note for the uninformed: My middle name is Terrin, which is derived from and pronounced the same way as 'Terran', the term used in most science-fiction novels to indicate someone from Earth, as the Latin word for Earth is Terra. My folks changed the spelling at the last minute, probably realizing how incredibly dorky it was to have a kid named Jamaila 'Earthling' Cohen-Michaelson.)

2 comments:

Malnurtured Snay said...

I was going to say, "You don't usually go around telling people your middle name is Earth, do you?"

(Because I work with a kid whose middle name is Zebulon, and he doesn't know enough not to tell people that it is).

Jamaila said...

Are you kidding? Of course I tell people. Do you know what a great geek pick-up line it is to be able to say that your middle name is Earthling?

...er... not that I need to pick up geeks anymore or anything. But I used to. ;)