Looking for more house tips? Search through Houseblogs.net!

Saturday, April 28, 2007

hey, bungalow people

So I'm looking for some good pictures of a classic bungalow feature -- a wall that's got an opening framed by columns, which in turn are resting atop short built-in bookshelves. I've got a couple of images, but nothing quite what I'm looking for, and I know it's out there, I've seen it! But in all the ones I can find, the bookshelves are too tall, or the columns don't go all the way to the ceiling, or there aren't bookshelves, just a bit of wall. Help!

I want to do this to the wall between our dining room and our living room, but I have to convince Don, and for some reason he can't picture it when I explain it -- so I need pictures. Help me out, y'all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! So Billy's parents had a house built for them in the late 90's, nothing like a bungalow. BUT they have exactly what you are talking about...short bookshelves and on top, columns that go to the ceiling. It divides the living room and kitchen! I will try to find or get a picture of it, I really like it. Makes me want columns when we move as well :)

Ralph's House said...

Here's a small photo from an Aladdin catalog, 1926-
http://clarke.cmich.edu/aladdin/1926/aladdin17.htm

Unknown said...

My friend Molly's house has that, without the bookshelves I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a fairly common feature in Lauraville - maybe do a realtor.com search on 21214 and flip thru the interior photos.

Or maybe that's insanely time-consuming and I should just ask Molly if she has a picture of her living room.

Anonymous said...

Here's the best I have found. This is surprisingly hard to find results for. I have been looking for a similar detail for a new bungalow we are building.
http://images.oldhouseweb.com/stories/bitmaps/2006/14854/lr.jpg

Sandy and Michael said...

The first pic of the first post on my blog shows the built-in shelves/column combo in out new living room... if you're still looking :)

michaelandsandy.blogspot.com